17 January 2013

How important is Genre labeling?

How important is it for authors, or publishers, to correctly label a book with a genre? I've just finished a book that really wasn't my cup of tea, and when I've looked into it different places have listed it as being different genre. From Paranormal Romance to Noir, Horror Comedy. I'm not sure how any book can be both Horror and Comedy, but that's a different post. If I had known the book was horror, I would not have started it, in the same way I'm sure there is readers out there who would read a Mystery or a Horror but wouldn't touch a Romance, paranormal or otherwise.

It got me thinking, yes books can easily fit into lots of genre depending on how they are written, but is it right to label a book with a genre it clearly doesn't belong in? Paranormal Romance or any Romance for that matter, clearly indicates, just that a Romance. Two or more people in some sort of loving committed relationship with a HEA or at least a happy for now ending. Is it fair to label a book paranormal romance because it has vampires in it? and I'm not going to mention calling a book a mystery when we know who the bad guy is by the end of the second chapter.

But it isn't just about authors being fair with readers, its also about readers being fair to authors. I have a friend who received a somewhat negative review from an amazon reader. Who states quite clearly that she had not read the information about the book and purchased it solely on the name. She then goes on to criticize the book for being what it is, an erotic romance, and not being what she wanted it to be. This in itself is bad enough, but she then goes on to list books which are better because they are what she wanted.

To give a negative review, on amazon or anywhere else is allowed and even encouraged, but only when there is something you don't like about it, the characters, the story line or the events within, the labeling of genre being inaccurate or misleading what ever, but make sure it is the book at fault and not you. And authors please make sure you are clear about what is in your books, don't try and trick readers, by all means bend and blur a line but don't cross it and lie to your followers, we don't like it and tend to stop following.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Hollie. I had so many issues when my publisher labeled my books as urban fantasy instead of paranormal romance. So, I had to do the research as to why. Urban fantasy to me is dark and not so much about the HEA. (I love reading urban fantasy. I just didn't feel my books fell into that category.) I was wrong.
    I've had the same issue when reviewing books. The author believes the book to be one genre, yet it's listed as another genre elsewhere. It's not fair to the author or the reader when that happens.
    To receive a bad review because someone didn't take the time to read the information listed is simply wrong. It's not the author's fault the critic didn't read the information. Geesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think of Urban Fantasy as dark, but it can be more romantic than romance. For me urban fantasy is paranormal set in our world and a series can be about the same characters not a different couple each book, which is why i said romantic not romance.

    It just shows how careful you have to be most of us like books of similar and over lapping genre but I suppose everyone is different

    ReplyDelete
  3. We as authors try our best to label books in the appropriate genres but sometimes, no matter what's going on, the publisher has an idea for a better/different genre labeling for sales purposes with the understanding that it won't piss off the readers.

    Most of the time this works. Not always though and that sucks but it's like anything else.

    ReplyDelete